Bjerager Church

Bjerager Kirke is Romanesque in origin, although the tower and porch are later additions. Two doorways are visible, the one in the south wall having been bricked up and the north-facing one still being in use.

The pulpit (1613) features four bays, decorated with evangelist motifs in the main panels and separated by Corinthian double columns. The base is decorated with some noteworthy, imaginative lion masks. Carved cherubs' heads decorate the canopy.

The centre of the Renaissance altarpiece features the Crucifixion, with the Resurrection in the panel above and the Hebraic inscription "Jahve" (Jehova) uppermost. During the construction of the altarpiece in 1619, it was necessary to lower the level of the chancel floor in order to provide sufficient space beneath the vaulted ceiling.

Note the sexton´s oak chair (c.1625) with the grotesque carving of a face on the gable.

The oldest item in the church is, as in many other churches of the area, the font, whose origins are unknown. It is from the Romanesque period and is decorated with lion motifs. The font was presented to the church in 1947 by the owner of the Rathlousdal estate.